The Middle East Rally Championship (MERC) is a motor rally championship run under the auspicies of the FIA. First held in 1984 the championship encompasses a series of rallies held across Western Asia.
The championship has featured long-running events like Rally of Lebanon, Rally Oman and the Troodos Rally in Cyprus as well as World Rally Championship event Jordan Rally. Many of the rallies in the region pre-date national independence, mostly from the United Kingdom.
The championship has been dominated by remarkably few competitors. Both Mohammed bin Sulayem and reigning champion Nasser Al-Attiyahhas won 14 titles. Between them they have won over 60% of events in the history of the championship.
List of events
- Qatar International Rally (1984–present)
- Kuwait International Rally (1984–85, 1987–89, 1995–96, 2009-present)
- Bahrain International Rally (1984, 2000–02, 2004–05)
- Jordan Rally (1984–88, 1990, 1992–present)
- Oman International Rally (1984–88, 1990–94, 1998, 2004-07, 2015–present)
- Dubai International Rally, United Arab Emirates (1984–88, 1990–95, 1997–present)
- Rally of Lebanon, (1987–88, 1991-2004, 2006-present)
- UAE International Rally, United Arab Emirates (1989, 1995-2001, 2004–06)
- Tour of Cyprus, (1998-1999)
- Troodos Rally, Cyprus, (2000-2009, 2011)
- Syria International Rally, (2001–05, 2007–10)
- Cyprus Rally, (2007–08, 2010, 2012–present)
- Sharqia Rally, Saudi Arabia, (2010)
- Shiraz Rally, Iran, (2015–present)